" 'For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,'
declares the LORD." - Isaiah 55:8
It was never my plan to be a missionary. Honestly, that thought never crossed my mind. It wasn't until recently, I mean the last couple months, that God really put it in my heart to go overseas and follow Him into the world. Actually, let me rephrase that... He has been preparing me my whole life for this journey but it wasn't until this spring that He revealed that plan to me.
It started at the end of Feb. when I went on a missions trip to Cambodia. I don't know what it was aside from God's spirit but He used that trip to stir this passion of living and serving Him overseas - being His hands and feet. See it was my plan to become an officer in the U.S. Coast Guard and at that point I was already through the application process just waiting to hear back from them. As time went on though this desire became stronger and stronger. Not knowing what God wanted me to do with those desires I spent the next few months in prayer about the direction of my future. Mid-June God unexpectedly closed the door to the Coast Guard on me and I knew instantly I needed to pursue the desires He had placed in my heart. My plan B was God's plan A. Still, not knowing where He wanted me to go, or what He wanted me to do I spent the next few moths seeking God's guidance on where I should go- completely surrendering myself to Him.
I received a couple offers from a couple different organizations but didn't feel at peace with any of the options. After struggling over placements for a couple months I heard about an opportunity with Global Partners in Albania and knew immediately it is where God wants me. But it wasn't the job description that sold me. You see, the whole time I was praying, people I've never met, half way around the world in Albania, were praying for someone with the same skills and background as I. Without knowing anything about me they had been praying for a single woman in her mid-20's, with an AmeriCorps background who could help start an anti-trafficking program in Albania. That doesn't happen by chance - that's a God thing. I accepted the mission and immediately found the peace I was seeking. I don't have the slightest clue what I'm getting myself into but God does and His plans are better than mine.
So very proud of you, Nicole!! I know I am very blessed to have you in my life and am sure those you meet on your journey will feel the same.
ReplyDelete