Halloween. The one holiday I thought I wouldn't miss being in the states for. And really, I'm not missing it that much. Costumes. Parties. Decorations. Not really my cup of tea. Carving pumpkins and candy on the other hand, that's what I'm talking about.
Halloween (Hallouini, in Albanian) is not a traditionally celebrated holiday here. In the last few years it has become popular in the big cities but only at bars as a way to make money. It is celebrated similar to ways that would be seen in Hollywood movies. Costumes. Loud music. Partying. (or so I assume/have been told, I haven't actually been to one.) Here, kids don't get dressed up and trick-or-treat throughout the neighborhood and pumpkins are for cooking, not carving. But get this: any and every time we visit an Albanian home we are served candy. It's like Halloween 365 days a year and I don't have to get dressed up in costume. It's definitely one part of the Albanian culture that I've come to enjoy.
Katie and I couldn't resist buying pumpkins the other day when we saw them at the market. We brought a little bit of Halloween to our home in Albania. Check out our HALLOWEEN EDITION Video Update and pictures below.
Halloween (Hallouini, in Albanian) is not a traditionally celebrated holiday here. In the last few years it has become popular in the big cities but only at bars as a way to make money. It is celebrated similar to ways that would be seen in Hollywood movies. Costumes. Loud music. Partying. (or so I assume/have been told, I haven't actually been to one.) Here, kids don't get dressed up and trick-or-treat throughout the neighborhood and pumpkins are for cooking, not carving. But get this: any and every time we visit an Albanian home we are served candy. It's like Halloween 365 days a year and I don't have to get dressed up in costume. It's definitely one part of the Albanian culture that I've come to enjoy.
Katie and I couldn't resist buying pumpkins the other day when we saw them at the market. We brought a little bit of Halloween to our home in Albania. Check out our HALLOWEEN EDITION Video Update and pictures below.


You do have to take those warnings by mothers seriously!!!
ReplyDeleteKatie, how dare you say you see things differently from Nicole. Don't you guys know that all M's see things exactly the same way????!!!! Thanks for the the video. By the way the haircuts look like they turned out great.