Additional Pages:

29 July 2011

Kafe

Now I know what you’re thinking... Nicole is in Albania. There are no Starbucks in Albania. How will she survive?  Valid question. But have no fear. I have found a solution that might even, dare I say, top Starbucks *gasp* … The solution: Turkish Coffee.

Mmm… so good.  Not only does it taste good, I know how to make it, it doesn’t cost a fortune, I don’t have to leave my house to drink it and did I mention how good it tastes.

I’ve never really been a coffee drinker.  It’s true. Vanilla latte drinker, now that’s a different story.  I much prefer a latte or mocha to a cup of coffee.  And the few occasions I would drink coffee I would fix it like a latte, a shot of coffee and the rest cream/milk, never did I add sugar to the mix though.

Here the ratio of coffee to milk to sugar is perfect. One spoon coffee, one spoon sugar, the rest milk. It is a creamy drink, not too sweet, and strong enough so you can taste the coffee flavor. Oh, and did I mention the cups we use to serve the Turkish coffee are the size of a tea cup you would use to have a tea party with a 4 year old... tiny. 

Here are a few things that you should know about Turkish Coffee:

The coffee itself is the texture of powdered sugar.

The pot you brew it in is small with a long handle on the stove.

Never drink the last sip. Unless for some reason you like drinking coffee grinds. 


Drinking coffee is huge here. Men go to the local coffee bars and sip coffee all day. Women stay at home and drink with friends and enjoy the fellowship in the home.  I’ve also heard that the cup of coffee you make will determine what kind of wife you will be and this skill is favored while choosing a woman for your son to marry. This is why I’ve started making it my second week here; hopefully I can prefect this art by the time I leave. Though I’m not so sure this skill will help me find a husband when I return to the states. But at the very least I’m sure I can add it to my resume: Master- Pro Turkish Coffee Maker.

making coffee


Smells delicious (this picture may have been posed.)


enjoying coffee on our balcony

mmm. mmm. good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails