Additional Pages:

16 September 2011

Getting Out of the Boat

Right now, building relationships is my job. Sounds easy, right? Would you think less of me if I admitted how incredibly difficult it is? Especially for shy, introverted me. It’s hard in my own language to go up and make conversation with people I know… and multiply that by (at least) 100 when it’s in a language you’re just barely treading water in, people you don’t know, and a culture you still don’t completely understand. Why the heck did God call ME to Albania to build new relationships? There are so many other people in this world that would be so much better at this than me. Why me??

I have the desire, but not the courage. I’m willing, but terrified. But here’s the thing I’ve learned over the last 2 months: all I have to do is take the initiative. Take the first step. Get out of the boat. And God meets me there. When I step out of my comfort-zone, He’s there with the safety net ready to catch me so I don’t fall. He’s holding my hand, pushing me from behind and on the sidelines cheering for me all at the same time. He’s there to help me every step of the way. He wants to see me succeed- all I have to do is take the first step.

God didn’t call me to Albania because it would be easy. He called me here at this time because He knows it’s where I am supposed to be according to His plan. With everything in life there are growing pains- they are uncomfortable, hurt like heck, and stretch you more than you desire. They don’t kill you, but instead make you stronger. They increase your faith and mold you into the person God created you to be.

I’m still not sure why God called me to do this. I know that this is where I’m supposed to be. It’s not easy, but as long as I continue to make an effort, God will give me all of the strength I need.

3 comments:

  1. Today has been a bit trying at my job. Feeling like I have too much to do, not enough time to do it, and mostly not enough talent to do it well. However, God keeps telling me the same thing. I put you here just keep following. Don't worry about where we are going. I put you here. I know why and that's enough.
    Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicole, what great observations and insights. You are the right person, in the right place, doing the right job!!! Thanks for the insights which allow us to be there with you. You guys are in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails